In reading the bible over the last few days i was struck by something amazing. It was a true revelation and so real that i have not been able to move off these verse for the past few days.
Prophecy of Scripture
12 So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. 13 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.
16 For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”[b]18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
So here it is.
- The man ( Probably PETER) who was an EYE WITNESS Wrote this V16 but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty
- He ( Peter) was soon to die. He knew he was about die V 13 and 14
- These where essentially his departing words. A man who didn’t have long left on the earth chose to write this Book and these words. This for me indicates how important it must have been for him to say these things.
- We need to seriously listen to the advice and words given in this book especially for the Church today. If the church (The fellowship of the believers) was beginning to stray 2000 years ago then we need to also asses how much we have strayed. Peter wanted us to remember these things so it would do us well to remember these scriptures.
- V16 these are NOT cleverly devise stories. They are inspired by people who saw the glory of the LORD JESUS Christ.
- Why should we trust in JESUS? – Because GOD the maker of all things said This “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased” Jesus was Christs son and God sent him.
- The words in the bible are completely reliable! V19 WE NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO IT. Peter says we will do well if we do. Like a light shining in a dark Place.
- Here is the punch line V20-21. The scriptures that we read did not come about by mans own infallible interpretation of life. These scriptures, that are prophetic never, are not born out of HUMAN WILL.
- The HOLY SPIRIT is the one who has inpsired the words in the bible.
So I know that the Holy Spirit has revealed this to me and it is a great comfort to know that the scriptures we read are in the bible are real and relevant. I am going to keep reminding myself of them and keep focusing on them and keep my memory refreshed on them. I would urge you to do this also. I pray that you may to see the word of God come alive to you and out of that you may see that Jesus Christ is Lord.
Remember the scripures point us to Jesus for a reason. He is pure and blameles and is the best role model, leader and and friend for us to know and have.
Love in Christ.
Image from http://typesofthings.com/images/supernova.JPG